Tuesday 25 September 2012

Have You Ever Observed Humanity?


Accompanied by "Look Out Any Window" by Bruce Hornsby. 

"I think my job is to observe people and the world, and not to judge them. I always hope to position myself away from so-called conclusions. I would like to leave everything wide open to all the possibilities in the world." ~ Haruki Murakami

Heeeeeey!

Yep...I know...I know. Brutal. It's been almost two months!!!! AH!

So...have you ever observed people and thought about what their lives are like? Is that a creepy thought?? Maybe it's stalkerish and I shouldn't be admitting I do this...but I do do this!! So there!!! I was on a bike ride the other day downtown Oakville and as I was peddling along I was watching people as I was passing them. I saw a man in his car looking like he was upset (or perhaps constipated...which is pretty upsetting I suppose) and suddenly thought "he has a life of his own that he is dealing with just as I am." Who would have thought?! When I'm out and about I generally observe people - couples holding hands down the street, janitors cleaning the toilets, business men in their suits (OK that's mainly for my own personal enjoyment) and wonder how they got to where they are in life, and why, and what kind of people are in their own lives. I know it goes without saying, but all these people have relationships, friends, jobs, and journey's of their own. They are trying to make a life for themselves, and live life period. Observing this makes me realize how many people there are in this world doing their own thing, trying to figure it all out (or maybe they are not). They have sad days, happy days, deaths, births, and lost loves in their lives and have important people that get them through a hard day. They have people that look up to them or they have people that they themselves admire...that makes a difference in their life. I think of how lucky I am for the people in my own life and how crazy it is that these people I observe don't know the wonderful people in my life that have changed me and helped me grow. They have their own people to help them through their life!! I start to wonder why I have the specific people in my life and look at all the lessons those people have taught me. It is a strange train of thought but I suppose I'm really stepping out of my own existence to see that there is in fact others around me - that we are all interconnected.

Observing people helps ground me and helps give myself a reality check. Everyone is important and is serving a purpose in this world. There is no one person that is more important than the other. Whether you are celebrity or not, whether you are homeless, whether you are a CEO of a huge company, whether you are shoveling shit off the sidewalk, or whether you are living in suburbia with two cats and a dog and 500 kids, we are all here to contribute to this world and have our own journey's to experience and lessons to learn and things to do. We all contribute to the state of this world whether good or bad. It's just crazy to know that there are billions of people out there living and growing and learning. There are everyday heros that aren't being recognized but have changed someones life forever. There are people out there falling in love with the man or woman of their dreams, making a family, and contributing to society in so many beautiful ways. There are people bustling about late for work with coffee in hand and their head racing with thoughts you don't know about. Some are connected to the world and some are on an island to themselves thinking that they are in control of it all. Each person is here for a reason just as I am...just as we all are. Realizing this puts things in perspective for me when I come across a negative situation or when I myself create a negative situation due to my own perceptions. Knowing that we all are here going through whatever we are going through for a reason helps detach myself from the situation and display more compassion than anything. It helps me not take things so personally (something I'm working on and have certainly not mastered yet). Some of us may never learn our lessons in this lifetime but it's not up to me to judge that person. We ourselves would not want to be judged when we are going through similar situations or our own trials and tribulations.

Anywho...perhaps I'm just a weirdo thinking about all this but it's something that comes about often in my many thoughts throughout the day!

Hope everyone is doing well!!!!!

Love,
Lovely Lianne XO

No comments:

Post a Comment